Music Director – St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Kingston
263 Victoria Street, Kingston ON K7L 3Y9
Ministry Position: Music Director
Term of Office: Permanent part-time employee
Reporting Relationship: The Pastor and Church Council
Purpose of the Position:
To provide leadership and direction for the music ministry of the congregation and support the use of the building in providing musical experiences to the community
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Pastor and Worship committee to choose the music for
- Accompany worship services – encourage and inspire enthusiastic music and singing.
- Select music that will be a good fit for the musicians and the congregation
- Recruit soloists and coordinate rehearsals for special events.
- Serve as a “Music Librarian” for the church – purchase, file, and catalogue all church music.
- Coordinate the ministry of music by selecting choir music, directing an adult choir, a junior choir, a bell choir, and other special music.
- Recommend the tuning, maintenance, and replacement of musical instruments.
- Use a variety of media to supplement and strengthen the worship experience (for example, using drama, dvd accompaniment, or the participation of children and youth in worship).
- Communicate with the office manager regarding the order of worship, special music, organist schedule, and any other Music and Worship matters for the bulletin.
- Create and sustain an accurate and positive church community image.
- Work positively with individuals, agencies, and external groups to support the mission of the church.
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to music or equivalent.
- Leadership skills to direct musicians and make decisions for the group.
- Possess qualifications as an organist and pianist, with training or experience in choral direction.
- Able to work flexible hours to accommodate planning and working with volunteers.
- Comfortable in performing a variety of styles of music.
- Flexible and organized in leading and coordinating people.
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Flexible timing of approximately .20 FTE (8 hours per week) including 2-3 hours regularly scheduled on Sundays.
- Some additional time may be required around holy days and festivals during the year.
Compensation will be in accordance with RCCO guidelines and related to training and experience.
Employed by St. Mark’s with supervision by the Pastor and accountability to the Church Council
St. Mark’s Church will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. Confidentiality of all applicants will be maintained. Please submit your resume to: email@example.com or the church address by October 23, 2019.